Wisdom Wednesday - Duck House

As I mentioned on Sunday, I dug a lot of my older dolls out of boxes. I found one, a blonde porcelain doll with 'Duckhouse' on the neck. I can't show pictures of her just yet, but when I am able to, I'll post the pictures here of course.
I know that half the logo is darkened by the doll's hair, but I promise you it says 'Duck House'.

I got this doll most likely at a garage sale without a box or a certificate of authenticity. I thought it would be a fun/interesting idea to research it. The only major website I found was https://www.duckhouse.com/, a website that sells sports merchandise. This logo doesn't look like any of the other logos so it could be a less known logo or a bootleg of some kind. Even if this doll is a bootleg, it's a pretty and fairly high quality (her hair aside) doll.

Popular Duck House logo with the #/5000 representing the limited run of some of the dolls. [1]


After a little more research, I found out a good deal about Duck House. They made dolls from 1989(ish) until 2008 [1]. The company itself began in 1981 [1] with making sports memorabilia then expanded into porcelain dolls with the mission of making high-quality porcelain dolls for a decent price. 

Collectors loved the dolls and you can still find a good deal of them on eBay, with some still NIB or with their certificates for a decent price.

Duckhouse expanded into vinyl dolls eventually. [1] In 2004, they made the leap into something they are not that well remembered for (probably for a good reason) - 18 inch, all vinyl dolls aiming to take down American Girl [2]. This series was short-lived and forgotten which is not helped by the website back in that era not being updated that often on top of the scant screenshots [3]. I found evidence that dolls named Giselle and Eloise existed, just not their pictures. I found possible other dolls (can't be certain because of a lack of pictures: Leanna and Stacy (available in 2006) with no mention of Alexis, Ashleigh, Hayley, Eloise, Habika or Giselle [3]. Searching on eBay for these particular dolls is difficult.
Alexis

Ashleigh and Hayley, sorry for the crappy photo resolution. 
The quality of this dolls is poor, according to JustMagicDolls. "This wig is one of the worst-quality wigs I have seen on a doll", the author says.

This is one doll line that probably was meant to be forgotten by both the manufacturer and the doll collecting community.

If you are one of the collectors who misses the good old Duck House dolls, they ceased making dolls under the 'Duck House' name (as aforementioned). But they made a spiritual successor in Golden Keepsakes [1], which is still up and running today.

Sources

  1. https://like2shop.com/p/duck-house-dolls
  2. http://www.justmagicdolls.com/meet/DuckHouse/duck_house_heirloom_dolls.htm
  3. https://web.archive.org/web/20050205092233/http://www.duckhouse.com:80/

Comments

Popular Posts