Local Doll Show


On September 23rd, 2017 I went to my local doll club's doll show. It was quite fun, actually! I was expecting a bunch of elderly women selling/showing off their old Barbies, but most of them were younger than I thought. The biggest vendor was actually a man!

I bought two dolls - the 1994 Chinese Barbie and the 1993ish Hawaiian Barbie. They weren't in boxes but still had their hair decorations, earrings and rings so I bought them despite thier awful hair condition... I fixed them of course.
Before

After
I named the Hawaiian Barbie Leinani (it means beautiful child in Hawaiian) and the Chinese Barbie Biyu (complete gem). Leinani has four younger brothers and wants to be a professional hula dancer one day but for now she has to be a waitress in order to help make ends meet. Biyu works at her parent's store (her hair isn't cut off, I just braided it) and tries to convince her family to let her inherit the store instead of her older brother. I actually used to have at least the outfit of the Chinese doll, thus why I wanted her. These two were in a bin of cheap dolls all without boxes. 

I spent most of my time looking around since I don't like collecting dolls just to have them sit around in boxes (whenever I get something in a box, I instantly start itching to open it). I saw a few American Girl dolls around (Molly, Samantha with her original meet dress and her school book, a couple GOTYs, a Felicity or two). I even saw a Gotz doll and proceeded to bore my mother with facts about how Gotz used to make AG's dolls until AG moved the factories to China... Mom was impressed. Somehow.

One thing I saw that I really wanted but was turned off from due to the price was a Gone With the Wind Madame Alexander set of Scarlett O'hara and Mammy (with her red petticoat! ... you'd understand how cool that was if you've seen the movie or read the book). Very cute with the box already open and not in mint condition, but it was still expensive, so I passed on it. 

I brought Samantha and Kaleia along with me, which surprised a lot of people. No one else really brought their dolls to the show (other than the sellers), but some people brought their small dogs (some even in strollers...). Anyways, there was a nice fountain in front of the place where the show took place, so I took a couple of pictures of them around the fountain!








Will I go back next year? YES. And maybe, just maybe, I'll have my own booth to sell... stuff. We'll have to see. 



Comments

Popular Posts