Tutorial Tuesday - How to Organize Your Dolls

Okay, since I'm having to do organization of my dolls, I'm taking you along with me! *insert evil laugh here* Okay, not really, I can't force you to read this or use my ideas.

You guys know I had a bedroom for my dolls. It was... okay, I guess, for a first try. I'm now scrapping that idea. I know, I know, it's a cute way to store my dolls. I can't justify finding a space big enough for all 4 of my dolls. Two dolls were great, three was pushing it, four is just... not going to happen with the space I have. I only have my small room to store/show off ALL my dolls. I have almost TWENTY dolls - porcelain, Living Dead Dolls, American Girl, etc. So my mom and I have been brainstorming ideas for storing and organizing my dolls.

So, I thought we'd spend this tutorial Tuesday looking at ideas for organizing my dolls.

DOLL ROOM

I know the name makes you think of an entire room full of dolls, but I mean a doll diorama of sorts. American Girl's stores like to show off their dolls in this way, and many collectors have followed suit.

AGP DC [source]


A collector's Dollie Diorama [source]
Some people will even make an entire dollhouse for their American Girl dolls. This is usually achieved with bookcases or shelving. 
Bookshelf dollhouse [source]
Then there are the absolutely normal doll rooms. The ones that are just rooms filled with dolls. Most people who collect one type of doll (Barbie, American Girl) do this. 
This is just one out of 7 rooms owned by the 'Barbie Man' - he has about 3,000 Barbie and Ken dolls in his house. [source]
SHELVING 

You got your regular shelving and your wall-mounted shelving. This is what I may end up using for both my AG dolls and my porcelain. 
This shelving is 20" under the ceiling - aka too high for me to reach in my house [source]
Then there is the regular shelving whether it be a china cabinet, hutch or whatever else you may have. 
Madame Alexander dolls, I think [source]
Those are the only options I can think of other than shoving all my dolls into my hope chest, which is one of the things my mom recommended. I'm fine with doing that with the porcelain dolls since they're a) fragile, b) won't be played with a lot and c) my cats are a**holes (one knocked over the cookie jar I got from my great-grandmother (the same one who got me the bride porcelain doll) and it broke into a million pieces. I'm still getting over that loss). On one hand, I'd feel bad for not showing them off but on the other, I feel like it's my strongest option. 

Do you have any doll organization tips/tricks or ideas? Comment below or e-mail me at koalaitydolls@gmail.com.




Comments

Popular Posts