African American History Month Thanks

Thank you all for reading my posts during African American History Month! I had a blast discovering and talking about that part of American history. Hopefully, it will inspire others to think about what and how African history has affected American history. I would also like to thank American Girl Addy Collectors for helping and supporting this month on my blog and for American Girl Outsider for inspiring me to do this with her #GOTYGoC campaign.

If I get another 18-inch doll, I'm 100% certain it will be an African American doll. This month has made me less afraid of afros, the Black Panther Party and forced me to come face to face with our awful past of owning other people.

American Girl needs to be forced to make more African American dolls. Only 2 GOTY dolls were African American. 1 was just a 'friend' and the other was an obvious 'oh well, since everyone b**ches about us not having an African American GOTY, let's just throw one together with a 1-hour brainstorming session and let our original GOTY, Tenney, be released during African American history month for our new contemporary collection so she can be available for a longer time. No one cares about black dolls, amIright?" No.

Even though I'm a) white and b) don't own an 18-inch African American doll (I do have Nandi, a Barbie-sized fashion doll), I think that every girl deserves a doll. Not just the rich, white girls. If your white daughter wants a black doll, let her have one. I had an African American Barbie as a child. I got her for my 4th birthday party. (She might have been a celebrity of some sort. She came with a green inflatable chair. It was really early 2000s/late 90s.)

We got American Girl to get rid of their horrendous permapanties idea, let's try to get them to get rid of their obvious preference towards white dolls. And if American Girl's waning quality horrifies you, there are several African American owned companies that offer dolls of color for you or your child.

Wait, I hear you asking, are you going to do this next year or is this just a one-off thing? 

I will probably do this again next year. This year was somewhat themed as the Year of Addy (unofficially, of course since I did cover Melody and Cecile things as well), so maybe next year I will do Year of another doll. It all depends on what happens between now and then since I can't predict the future. I will do this next year if I can - it won't be because I don't want to.

Now tomorrow is 1st of March! And then its' only 2 weeks until Kaleia's birthday (March 16th) and Saint Patrick's Day (my mother's favorite holiday...)! This will be the first time I've 'celebrated' a doll's birthday, so it will be interesting.

Comments

Popular Posts