Fun Friday - My Favorite Kaya Things

Here's to another Fun Friday pertaining to American Girl! The title is pretty self-explanatory, I'm going to look through every AG Historical collection and decide what my favorite items are. I'll try to do a clothing, fashion accessory and a food/living accessory for each one if I can. Thanks in advance to http://americangirl.wikia.com for having a nice little archive of not only pictures but prices and descriptions of these items! I was going to do one for ALL the characters in one big post, but blogger is not cooperating. So it's just Kaya for now. :)

Kaya (1755)

Pow-Wow Dress of Today II
Released in 2011, Retired 2015 - retail $36
I just really love the colors on this one - the blue versus the red, orange and yellow. I do also love the slight beadwork on the front. Other iterations of the Pow-Wow Dress of Today just don't seem as pretty as this one does to me! I do wish the shoes were a different color though, perhaps red/orange? This dress is the most vibrant of the lot in my eyes. 

Hat & Parfleche

Released in 2002, retired in 2008 - retail $20.
Mattel's American Girl has not been big on keeping up with painstaking historical detail, but I do love Kaya's parfleche. It is something not part of the common Native American stereotype like buckskins, moccasins, and feathered headdresses are. The bracelet is cute, too! I'm not a big fan of having my dolls wear hats (even though my girls did don them for Kaleia's birthday) and I do wish that the hat was like the Maplelea Girl Saila (made by actual Native Americans)... But Mattel is Mattel. 
Kaya's Foods
Released in 2002, modified in 2007. Retail - $28
The basket on this one is rather cute! The placemat I could live without, though. My favorite food of the lot would be the berries! I would have loved to get the magnetic ones. A little bit more realistic. I don't like salmon. The branches are a nice little touch but they just look like a normal bush branch... Maybe those are supposed to be the branches where the berries came from? I have no clue. 


Comments

Popular Posts